Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Program
Got Waste? Bring it in! 

Part of this material is based upon work supported under a grant by the Rural Utilities Service, United States Department of Agriculture.* Lakes Region Planning Commission is an equal opportunity provider and employer. 

Use the slideshow below to read information about our HHW program, including details about who can participate and what items we accept
OR download and print a complete list of HHW FAQ's mentioned below:


Common Household Hazardous Waste

How we dispose of common household products depends on the product's contents and its toxicity to people, animals, and the environment. Some material, if entirely used, can be placed in the landfill, other items can be recycled, but the majority should be taken to a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Site.

Visit NH DES for specific information regarding paintbatteriestvs and monitorsfluorescent bulbsmercury devicessmoke detectors (updated), and thermostats.

    What can I bring to a household hazardous waste (HHW) collection site?
The items below are common hazardous products used in the home. These items can be brought to a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Site for safe disposal.

Click links for more information about specific products:
From the house:
drain cleaners
oven cleaners
metal polish
arts and craft supplies
photo chemicals
floor cleaners
dry cleaning fluids
fluorescent light bulbs (including compact bulbs)
Broken fluorescent light bulb cleanup procedures
From the yard & garden:
insect sprays
rodent killers
pool chemicals
muriatic acid
pest control strips
cesspool cleaners
From the workbench:
rust preventatives
wood preservatives & wood strippers
oil-based paint
paint thinner
old chemistry kits
From the garage:
used motor oil
radiator cleaners
brake fluid
old car batteries
engine & radiator flushes
transmission fluid

Many transfer stations will take Universal Wastes year round (batteries, fluorescent bulbs, used oil, antifreeze). Check with your local facility! 

Non-Toxic Product Alternatives

Additional HHW Disposal Options

If by chance you missed, or cannot wait until our regional HHW Collections here are other options for disposal:

  • The Goffstown Dept. of Public Works accepts hazardous waste, year-round, by appointment.
    • Call (603) 497-4824 for more information or visit their website.                                       
  • The Pemi-Baker Solid Waste District allows non-district residents to drop off HHW for a fee ($25 for every 10-gallons of waste)
    • Contact the North Country Council for more info by calling (603) 444-6303 or emailing                                                                                                                                      
  • The Lakes Region Household Hazardous Product Facility (LRHHPF) accepts HHW every 3rd Saturday May-October from 8:30AM-Noon.
    • There is a customer fee to help defray the costs of disposal                                                  
  • The Upper Valley Lake Sunapee Region Planning Commission (UVLSRPC) allows non-residents and businesses to dispose of their waste for a fee. Anyone (homeowners and businesses) with 25 gallons or more must pre-register.
HHW Event Results
The numbers are in, our 2019 Household Hazardous Waste Collection went great!
This year, we served nearly 1,600 vehicles and diverted more than 60,000 pounds of HHW from potentially ending up in our waterways.
Thank you to all our workers and volunteers for making this event successful.

Total pounds of HHW collected in 2019

Additional Resource Links - (alphabetical)
*Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the Rural Utilities Service.